Head of Fundsmith UK Transfer Agency Services
Fundsmith believe that their investors should receive a high-quality service, commensurate with the high-quality products they invest in. This role will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of that service to investors in Fundsmith’s UK OEICs.
The role and team will be based within SS&C, who are Fundsmith’s UK Transfer Agent, but will act as an integral part of Fundsmith. The role will require extensive interaction with stakeholders and colleagues across both Fundsmith and SS&C. This will include the management of a sizeable team covering Investor Servicing, Investor Processing, Technology and Digital; and Compliance and Operational Risk Oversight.
The role will be responsible for designing customer journeys and, establishing and managing the operational model to ensure investors receive the desired quality of service.
An important element of the role will be to drive innovation and change. The role will also require the successful candidate to embed a culture of putting the investor first and exceptionally high standards.
1. Target Operating Model
• Design, drive, optimise and continually develop a structure across the business that enables high-quality service.
• Transform the current service into the desired service, taking care to ensure operational and technical requirements, readiness and business testing are appropriately completed.
2. Operational delivery
• Oversee all aspects of operations and service delivery through a multi-functional team designed around the investor and encompassing: Investor Servicing, Investor Processing, Technology and Digital; and Compliance and Operational Risk Oversight.
• Ensure accountability and have a strong control framework in place with a focus on continuous improvement
3. Manage our people
• Instil the right behaviours across the organisation, ensuring the team are taking accountability, demonstrating a can-do attitude, being proactive, flexible, adaptable and feel empowered
• Embed a culture of exceptionally high standards and performance
• Empower team members to effect change and exercise discretion to best serve Fundsmith’s investors.
• Recruit quality people into all roles
• Ensure individual performance is measured fairly and accurately in line with relevant processes in order to reward excellence, drive development planning and create a high performing team and culture
• Recognise and develop key talent across the area
• Develop plans on succession to ensure the right management talent is in place to support the business strategy
4. Financial control
• Ensure accurate cost centre management and associated reporting
• Robust management of operational expenses including FTE and vendor spend
• Drive strong financial control disciplines
5. Performance Monitoring
• Ensure effective MI is available and is both relevant and accurate to ensure timely reporting of the status of operational services and initiatives
• Take action to remediate any issues or trends highlighted by MI
• Act as the senior escalation point and sponsor for all aspects of the service delivery
• Escalate issues up to CEO, Executive committees, or Fundsmith as appropriate and required
7. Compliance & Regulatory Responsibilities.
• Oversee the adequacy and soundness of Compliance and Operational Risk across the Fundsmith TA team. Responsibilities and delegated authority of subordinates is defined, agreed and understood
• Lead by example ensuring appropriate standards of culture and conduct are instilled throughout the business.
• Manage risk across the Fundsmith TA team ensuring mitigation where necessary
• Proactively drive improvements
• Put in place an effective lessons learnt process to ensure appropriate actions are taken to address issues arising from incidents and near misses
• Drive investigation and resolution of operational issues ensuring action taken to prevent occurrence, restoring confidence and enhancing or establishing best practice
• Take ownership through to remediation of any control related issues identified by Internal Audit, Compliance, Investors, or other stakeholders.
• Ensure oversight of departmental risk registers to ensure they remain accurate and up to date
• Ensure escalation of issues follow the Risk Governance Framework
• Attend and represent the Fundsmith TA team at the SS&C Risk Management Committee
8. Operational Resilience
• In line with Company standards, ensure that from an end to end perspective there is a robust resilience process in place that is regularly tested
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven track record of leading within an operational/client service environment
- Industry experience in financial services, asset management or Funds
- Understanding/exposure of working with an onshore/offshore model.
- An understanding of the global TA market is desirable
- Experience of a matrix reporting structure is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to develop strong exec level working relationships (internal & external)
- Excellent people management skills and demonstrates natural leadership
- Can demonstrate a high degree of autonomy at exec level and can work on a stand-alone basis.
- Proven track record of delivering results and driving change
- Able to work in a high-pressure environment
- Strategic and innovative thinker with the ability to facilitate and implement solutions, who can demonstrate a clear understanding of evolving approaches in customer service,
- Commercial awareness
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Strong team player
- Excellent time-management
- Displays gravitas and maturity